The issues related to the geographic information systems and spatial databases play an important role in toponymic research. The interest for this field is due to the expansion of the use of geographic data. This article examines the functions of toponymy, and analyzes the impact of historical events and processes, the change of socio-economic formations on toponymy. It highlights these patterns represented in the Azerbaijani toponyms system. Globalization and Internet technologies have necessitated an access to reliable spatial data. Therefore, the urgent task of regional onomastics is the creation of electronic regional databases, the formation of a single database linking toponymic data from all regions of Azerbaijan. This article substantiates the need for the creation of the National Toponymic Geographic Information System in Azerbaijan. (pp.3-10).
- Afanasiev, O.E., (2007) Cartography and toponymy: methodology of a regional approach to study. Pskov regional journal, 99–110. (in Russian)
- Teslenok, S.A., Ivlieva, N.G., Uchevatkina, N.V., Teslenok, K.S. (2017) Creation of a specialized toponymic GIS for areas of de-Russification, de-Sovietization and de-communization. Scientific journal INTERCARTO. INTERGIS, 13-26. (in Russian)
- Murzaev, E.M. (1979) Geography in titles. M.: Nauka. (in Russian)
- Murzaev, E.M. (1974) Essays on toponymy. M.: Misl. (in Russian)
- Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, The General Conference of the UNESCO meeting in Paris from 17 October to 21 November 1972, at its seventeenth session. https://whc.unesco.org/en/conventiontext/.
- Martynenko, A. (2020) Electronic resources as tools for toponymic research. Moscow (TSPU Bulletin), 5(211), 114-126. (in Russian)
- Bakikhanov, A. (1951) Gulustani-Iram. Baku: Publishing House of the Academy of Sciences of the Azerbaijan SSR. (in Azerbaijani)
- Gordón, M.D. (2017) Nomen est omen? naming and renaming of places in minority inhabited areas in Georgia. European Centre for Minority Issues (ECMI).
- Lewis, P.F. (2017) Axioms for Reading the Landscape. http://www.sethspielman.org/courses/geog3612/readings/PierceLewisAxioms.pdf
- Niftaliyev, I. (2010) Azerbaijan SSR in the expansionist plans of Armenians (20s of the 20th century). Baku: Tahsil. (in Azerbaijani)
- Mammadova, N. (2018) The policy of the Armenianization of Western Azerbaijan (present-day Armenia): history and modernity. (in Russian)
- Mustafa, N. (2006) Vandalism: genocide against historical names. Baku: Tahsil. (in Azerbaijani)
- Gammeltoft, P. (2016) Names and geography. The Oxford Handbook on Names and Naming. Oxford University Press, 502-513.
- Wright, J.K. (1966) Human Nature in Geography: Fourteen Papers, 1925-1965. Cambridge, Harvard University Press.
- Shokhenmayer, E. (2017) Controversial article on geonomastics. Journal for meta-carto-semiotics, 3 (1), 35-47.
- Interactive map “Azerbaijani toponyms in the territory of present-day Armenia”, 2019. realmap.az (in Azerbaijani)
- Sokolova, T.P., Makhiyanova, L.R. (2015) 25th International Onomastic Congress “Names and their surroundings”// Problems of onomastics, 1(18), 203-212. (in Russian)
- Gammeltoft, P. (2014) Onomastics for all: How can new technology help broaden the appeal of name research? 25th International Congress of Onomastic Sciences (ICOS), Glasgow, 25-29 August 2014.
- BillionGraves (2021). https://billiongraves.com/
- Gurbanov, A. M. (2019) Basics of Azerbaijan onomology. Vol. I, Baku: Imak. (in Azerbaijani)